Sunday, May 8, 2011

"arise, pray, exercise (30 minutes), and prepare for the day"

When I was running the other day at the gym I had a thought about the rule to exercise daily. Maybe my companion, one or all of them, will be crazy about running and will want to sprint for the entire 30 minutes. What would I do?! I enjoy a brisk jog but am no fan of running at my top speed for longer than 100 yards. I would hate to prevent her from getting a good work out in... So as I increased my speed on the treadmill, I pondered about my exercise habits. "What type of missionary will I be?" I thought to myself, "the type who goes full 100% every day all day... or the type who slows down from fatigue and side cramps...?" I voted for the first version. To make sure I am the companion who works hard all day no matter the physical stress, and actually be the one to embrace the challenges, I have decided to do a 12 week total body transformation. I start tomorrow and my little sister is doing it with me. We're both training to be more fit: me for the mission and her for basketball.

The program is called Body for Life and was first introduced to me a few years back when I was a sophomore in high school. I wish that I had been determined enough to do it then but better late than never I guess. Neither of us are entering the official challenge but it'll be a good experience to help us be in better shape. I figure that if I'm going to be representing the Church then I better make sure I look as good as possible! People are more likely to listen to someone who is attractive than to someone who looks like a slob. How do I defend myself when I say that I love Heavenly Father if I don't take care of the greatest gift He's given me; my body? The greatest part about the program, apparently, is that it works by exercising at your max for no more than 45 minutes a day. Every other day is only 20 minutes! Those are the running days. I've done this before but it was a half-job and let me tell you, the 20 minute runs are KILLER compared to the 45 minute weight sessions. I'm excited to get back in it and prove to myself and to my future companions that when PMG advises us to "arise, pray, exercise and prepare for the day" that we will prepare for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment